Marfa Dot Net

New priest is “a breath of fresh air”

Aug

(staff photo by JOHN DANIEL GARCIA)
From left, Fr. John Paul Madanu stands with Bishop Mark Joseph Seitz of the Diocese of El Paso during Mass at Saint Mary’s Parish in Marfa. Seitz offered the Eucharistic Celebration on Saturday, August 19

By ELVIRA LARA

MARFA – A long journey across the globe has brought Fr. John Paul Madanu to the city of Marfa. Hailing from Hyderabad, Telangana, India the new priest of St. Mary’s Catholic Church is enjoying his recent arrival.

“Marfa is nice!” exclaimed Fr. Madanu. “I feel comfortable in the area. The weather is nice. The people are very welcoming and hospitable. I thank God that I was sent here to this beautiful community.”

Father Madanu arrived in the U.S. only eight months ago. Born and raised in India, he followed his childhood dream by entering the seminary at age 16 and cultivating his vocation in the southern part of his home country.

“My inclination started from childhood as my parents always motivated me to participate in church activities,” said Fr. Madanu. “Also, since our home was very close to the seminary, I felt drawn by the brothers from the seminary as I watched them work, share and love the community they were in.”

Fr. John Paul Madanu

Father Madanu began his studies in the Diocese of Srikakulam, India. He completed a Bachelor’s degree at the University of Vijnana Nilayam in Eluru and a Master’s in education from Andhra University. He was ordained a priest on April 30, 2007 at St. Mary’s Cathedral in his hometown of Hyderabad.

Parishioner Cinderela Guevara is thrilled with the new priest’s arrival, calling him “a breath of fresh air” for the Marfa congregation.

She shared Fr. Madanu’s plans for the parish, including creating a youth group, hosting activities for the elderly, and building a greater sense of community. Guevara, the Presidio County judge, said the priest doesn’t want people to just go to Mass once a week and go home, he would like for them to gather on a regular basis.

Father Madanu’s work has already begun with coffee and doughuts after Mass every Sunday. He encourages parishioners to embrace the church as a second home, not just a place of worship.

The young priest comes from a long lineage of Christians, despite Catholicism not being very common in India.

“My family has practiced Catholicism maybe for four or five generations. There are two cousins from my father’s side of the family who are priests,” he said.

Masses in India are not much different than in the United State. Both countries follow the same Latin rite as established by the Vatican; the only difference is the language. Father Madanu learned to speak English in the seminary.

While in the seminary he also had the opportunity to teach grade school children. He was first an English teacher, then later a boarding director and headmaster of schools. Advocating for education is a big part of his vocation.

“I strongly believe that if only one child in the family gets an education, the whole family unit or system changes for the better. That is how impactful education can be,” said Fr. Madanu.

After ten years of serving in India, Father Madanu has made the bold move of relocating to a foreign country. He has no family in the America but is looking forward to what he will learn from exposure to other cultures.

God willing, my experiences will help me deepen and enrich my faith and in the future go back to India to help people there grow more profoundly in their faith as well,” said Fr. Madanu.

Community, Features Comments Off on New priest is “a breath of fresh air”

Marfa church hosts benefit for ‘Boquillas and Beyond’

Aug

Connie and Rusty with children from Boquillas, Chihuahua, Mexico.

MARFA – New Beginnings Church of the Big Bend / Mexico Missions will host a fundraiser to raise money for ongoing mission projects in the villages of Boquillas, Los Nurious, Jaboncillos and La Union in Mexico. These villages are located in the Mexican state of Coahuila, across the Rio Grande from Big Bend National Park.

Money raised from this raffle fundraiser will help continue the mission work that the church has been conducting in these villages over the last few years.

Specifically, Rusty and Connie Nelson of Marfa have travelled to these villages more than 30 times in the last three years to help bring supplies to the villagers, and help with major construction projects.

These additional funds will ensure their work continues, and will assist in funding a transportation project, fund school supplies for the village schools, fund the expansion of ongoing solar power projects in each village, and help provide computers to the villages as well.

The first raffle is for a Winchester Model 70 30/06 rifle. This rifle is very clean, and has never been used. It has a Redfield scope. Only 300 tickets will be sold at $10 each.

Other $5 raffle items include an air compressor, a power washer, an Old Timer knife, gift certificates from area businesses, a two-night stay at Hotel Paisano, Big Bend Coffee Roasters coffee, and many other items.

Raffle tickets are currently available for purchase at the following locations in Marfa: the Riata Inn, 1500 E. Highway 90, 432-729-3800; Marfa Hardware, 313 E. San Antonio St., 432-729-3161; New Beginnings Church Lighthouse Bookstore, 108 S. Hoover, across the street from Food Shark; and the Marfa Visitor Center / USO Building, 302 S. Highland Ave, 432-729-4772.

Raffle tickets will be sold for $5 and $10 the evening of Sunday, September 3rd at the Planet Marfa, located at 200 Abbot Street. Tickets will begin being sold at 6pm, and raffle drawings will occur every half hour after 8pm. All raffles will be drawn at Planet Marfa that Sunday evening.

DJ Rodriquez will begin playing at 8pm, so drop by Planet Marfa during the Marfa Lights Festival.

If you wish to make a donation by check, make it payable to: New Beginnings Church, Mexico Missions, P.O. Box 253 Marfa, TX 79843.

For more information, please contact Rusty Nelson at 254-396-0802 or Connie Nelson at 817-692-2964.

Community Comments Off on Marfa church hosts benefit for ‘Boquillas and Beyond’

El Paso bishop to hold Marfa Mass

Aug

MARFA – St. Mary’s Parish would like to extend a warm welcome to every one in joining Bishop Mark Joseph Seitz of the Diocese of El Paso, who will be offering the Eucharistic Celebration at Saint Mary’s Parish on Saturday, August 19, at 5pm.

The mass will be followed by a potluck dinner at the Parish Hall and all are welcome to attend.

The Diocese of El Paso encompasses the counties of El Paso, Brewster, Culberson, Hudspeth, Jeff Davis, Loving, Presidio, Ward, and Winkler County with approximately 668,000 professing members, served by 107 priests, 54 parishes and 237 male and female religious. The see is a suffragan of the Diocese of San Antonio.

Bishop Seitz enjoys coming out to this area of the Diocese and is particularly fond of spending time at the Big Bend National Park, Lajitas, and Terlingua. Bishop Seitz hopes to see everyone, and looks to forward to visiting with everyone.

Community Comments Off on El Paso bishop to hold Marfa Mass